Friday, January 29, 2010

Giving The News!

So, we found out on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 and managed to only tell a very few people before we told our families.  I, of course, told Stacie who told Tom and Mike told one of his coworkers at the co-op.  So, we waited and waited and waited.  FINALLY, Sunday (the 17th) arrived.  Most every Sunday Mike and Tom have gaming (they role play a la Dungeons and Dragons, but with werewolves and pirates).  The game happens at our friend Ryan's house which is about an hour trip from our house, but puts us about 40 minutes from my parents house.  Stacie and I took the morning while the guys were busy and went to breakfast (at I.H.O.P.) and then went to do some shopping; I needed some new knee socks and Stacie had a few things to pick up as well.
At 11:30, we go back to Ryan's and get our respective spouses and Mike and I head north.

My Parents:
So we drive another 40 minutes (total time in car now totals 140 minutes including driving to the mall and back).  We get to my parents house at about 12:30 and my dad (now known as Grampie) is napping and my mom (Nannie) is still in her pajamas and house coat!  This is out of the realm of normalcy for her.  We find out that she needs to be at my cousin's house at 1:30 with a birthday cake for her youngest kid's birthday party.  So we ended up being a little rushed, but it was okay.  I looked at my mom and said, "Well, since you need to get going, I guess I'll just tell you, we're pregnant!"  And mom says, "No'h!" and proceeds to squeal like a little girl.  Let me tell you, I don't think I've ever heard a noise like that come outta my mother.  My dad's hearing isn't quite what it used to be (don't tell him that, though) and when he finally figures out what's been said he gets a little teary, (he's an emotional kinda guy) gets up out of his recliner while mom's hugging me, and then gives me a hug and says, "I'm so happy.......for me."  He's a funny man.  I love my parents.  So we sit and talk about how I'm feeling (good), how far along I am (about 4-5 weeks) and that kind of stuff for a little bit.  Then mom has to head out to my cousin's and Mike and I head out as well.  I told them that they could call their parents and siblings and let them know the news.

My Sister (Natalie aka "Ant Nattie"):
Before we left my parents' house I call Natalie who lives in the next town over and get directions to her apartment (she moved recently and I hadn't yet been to the new place) and then we head over there under the pretense of "seeing the new apartment."  It takes about 15 minutes to get there (total time in car now 155 minutes).  We go inside her TINY apartment (it's got a kitchen, living room, and bathroom) and hang out for a little bit.  We start talking about our Cousin Dave's wedding which will be in August and I say to Natalie, "I'll tell you the same thing I said to Mom, I'm gonna have a BIG belly for that wedding." And waited for it to sink in.  She teared up (catching the theme for the day yet?) and said, "really?" and gave me a hug.  We talked for a bit and when I told her that we knew on Wednesday she was like, "You played us all week?"
:)
Yes, Yes, I did.


(Some of) His Family:
Once we left Natalie's we drove to Mike's mom's house (total time in car now 305 minutes) and visited with his mom (Sheri- aka "Yaya" perhaps) and grandmother (Nan).  We finally got the two of them in Nan's kitchen (they live in a duplex-type house) and Mike says, "So, Steph's gonna have a baby."  It takes a moment for it to sink in on Sheri and Nan didn't even hear him, we had to tell her again.  Sheri says (over and over while fanning her eyes), "I'm gonna be a gramma, I'm gonna be a gramma, I'm gonna be a gramma, I'm gonna be a gramma."  She got all teary, too.  Nan took it in stride.  She's got a few great-grandchildren already, so she's gotten the news before, but she was still very happy and excited.  She later said to us, "That's gonna be the luckiest kid, the two of you have so much love in you."  That was a really nice thing to hear.
So, Sheri finished making dinner (chicken, potatoes, veggies, and the ALL IMPORTANT GRAVY- more on that next time).  Eventually Marke (Sheri's husband/Mike's step-dad AKA- Pop) and Matt (Mike's 16 year old step-brother AKA- Uncle Matt) get back from snowmobiling all day and we spill the news to them.  Sheri didn't even want to let Marke get his coat off.  He said, "Can I take my sweater off at least?" and Mike responds, "Only if it doesn't take you 9 months."  Aaaaaannnnnnd...... nothing.  It goes COMPLETELY over his head.  MATT picks up on it, though.  Once it sinks in for Marke, though, he was pretty excited.  [an aside- he called earlier this week and wanted to know if there was any baby movement yet- yes, I'm only about 6 weeks along] He is pretty excited.

My Sister (Annette aka-Ant Nette?):
Annette lives in New Jersey with her husband Dave and their son Billy.  So, I had to give her the news over the phone when we got back from the in-laws (total time in car for Sunday- news giving day- 340 minutes, over 5 and a half hours!). 
I called Annette when I hoped she would be done putting Billy to bed, but failed.  She was in the middle of the ritual, so we didn't get to talk long.  She, too was very excited and at this point I was EXHAUSTED and I don't very well remember our conversation.  Maybe she'll fill out the story in the comments?....

In closing
I don't recommend traveling over 5 hours in one day to tell people you're having a baby.  It makes you a little cranky and a LOT tired.  Spread it out a bit.  :)


Next up- pregnancy symptoms....

4 comments:

Simple Mama said...

Nan's right: you guys are going to be wonderful parents. :) Your little baby is going to be very, very lucky, and very, very loved. (And, yes, you're NUTS to have traveled that far!)

Netter said...

I knew that's why you called me, because we're not phone people :) Billy hopes it's a boy and wants you to name it chicken. Oh, and it's Nanny and Grampy. What is it with you and the ie's? Ant Nette (Nettie, Netter) would be fine.

Stephanie said...

Thanks, Stacie. :)

Annette- Chicken? Really? Where DOES he come up with this stuff??? :)
Also, it's Nannie and Grampie. I don't know why everyone thinks it's supposed to be a y. :P

Nattie said...

Sorry Nette, I agree with Steph. It's IE not Y.