Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Little Seahorse

A part of Tom, a part of me....a whole new life to be.

Tom and I were married in September of 2008, and while we knew that a family would be in our future, we also knew that it was important to have some time just as a couple.  So we acquired some cats, and a couple dogs, and moved to a big house.  By Thanksgiving of this year, we were ready to start trying.  And, by January, we found out we had been successful!

Now, let me back up.  I am not an insensitive person, and I knew that my best friend was having trouble conceiving.  My heart was breaking for her.  We are very open and share just about everything, and yet I had no idea how I would tell her when the time came.... 

I took my first pregnancy test (Equate) on January 10th, the day that I expected my period.  The "positive" line was so faint that I thought it was an evaporation line or my hopeful mind working overtime.  I told Tom that I didn't think I was pregnant, and I threw the test away.  I was relieved and dissapointed at the same time. Relieved because I could hold off on breaking Stephanie's heart (or, hopefully, until she had conceived) and dissapointed because I so badly wanted to be carrying Tom's child.     

I did some research on faint positive pregnancy test results, and all the information that I got was the same:  it could be a mistake, it could be an evaporation line, but I was probably pregnant.  I confirmed that information in What to Expect When You're Expecting....I still couldn't believe it, though.  I showed the information to Tom, who just smiled and smiled and hugged me.  We both cautioned ourselves not to get overly excited, though. 'Cause, you know, dissapointment sucks.   

A few days later (Tuesday, the 12th) I took a ClearBlue test (first thing in the morning, of course).  I closed my eyes and thought happy thoughts until I opened my eyes.....and saw "PREGNANT".  I smiled and cried and hugged my belly and told the little cluster of cells how much I loved it.  And then I climbed into bed with Tom, and told him that he was going to be a dad.  He held me and told me how happy he was and how much he loved me.  Oh, little Seahorse, you've made us so happy.  We already love you, and can't wait to meet you!

I did tell Stephanie that day (before I told my parents, even).  I knew that she was heartbroken, and so I tried to quell my excitement (but to give her credit, she said all the right things and was a wonderful best friend).  The next day, however, she told me that she was pregnant, too!  That moment was one of my life's happiest (right up there with my wedding day, and of course, finding out that I was pregnant).  I'm so blessed and happy to be sharing this with my wonderful husband and my wonderful best friend.   
 
Next post:  telling the parents and friends while battling nausea....Stay tuned to Pregnancy Central!   

 

2 comments:

American Music Arts Academy said...

How rigorous are you two couples trying? I think it is really funny that both of you went to tell your husbands who were “lying in bed.” I just keep picturing Stac & Steph whipping the crap out the husbands. “We’re going to try it again” – “But we’ve already tried 24 times this morning! I’m tired!”

Simple Mama said...

AMAA: We're already pregnant, so we're not trying anymore! But Tom and I didn't be very scientific about our pro-creation attempt. I kept track of my cycle, so I knew when I was ovulating, and just made sure we had sex on those days (not like that 's difficult). :D Thanks for your comment!