Sunday, February 7, 2010

Answer: Tired (make that Exhausted) and Hungry.

Question: How are you feeling?

At least, that's the typical answer.  Depending on who is asking there's also, "My boobs are killing me."  Seriously, though, last night I was literally in tears the pain was so bad.  Two nights in a row I have gone to bed clutching a steaming hot water bottle to my chest.  (I recommend this to anyone having boob pains, be they throbbing or stabbing.)  I'd like to take a moment now to thank Mike (husband extraordinaire) for catering to his pregnant wife and being the bearer of the sacred hot water bottle.  He is awesome.

What about other symptoms?  Is that what you asked?  Well, after reading Stacie's post (and hearing about her symptoms) I feel as though I am one lucky girl.  For Reals.

The first pregnancy symptoms I experienced are the ones above- exhaustion, hunger, and breast "tenderness" (whoever came up with that gem should be dragged into the street and shot).  I would be HAPPY with some "tenderness."  What I've got is full on Oh My God The Wind Is Blowing Too Hard combined with What? The Temperature Dropped Five Degrees?  My Breasts Feel That Before It Registers On The Thermometer.  No, I do NOT appreciate having a Doplar radar residing in my bra (which is slowly getting too small) thankyouforasking.

So far- knock on wood- I have had only a couple of bouts of nausea- mostly, I think, due to lack of sleep/over sleeping, and the wonders of increased saliva (WHY does my body feel the need to create more spit?).  I am thankful for the lack of morning/afternoon/evening/nighttime sickness.  [Hopefully, I have not jinxed myself.]

My Favorite Symptom?  (Please don't be mad at me.  I have no control over it.)  Increased libido.  For pregnancy weeks 4-6 I was all about the, well, you know.  Needless to say, it is also Mike's favorite symptom.  Unfortunately, this week things in that department have slowed down.  I'm blaming the breast pain.  It's hard to feel "friendly" when the thought of your boobs being touched sends you into the fetal position. 

Another weird thing about pregnancy- feeling really hungry and really full at the same time.  Well, I guess weird isn't the word I want to use as much as really effing annoying!  There's nothing like sitting down to eat and getting not even half-way through the meal and getting full.  Not cool, Tummy, not cool at all.  Especially as I love to eat. 

Let's see--- am I forgetting anything else?  Oh- yes, cravings.  And aversions.
My first craving: Gravy.  Luckily this one petered out after I gave in for about 3 or 4 days in a row.  Mmmmm gravy.  I still like it, but I don't have a need as strong as a thousand blazing suns, so that's nice.
My second craving: Pizza (and it had to be from Pizza Hut) and French Fries.  Guess what I had for dinner that night?  That's right.  Pizza and French Fries.  I'm so glad that Pizza Hut has french fries (actually Curly Fries) on their menu or else we would've had to have made another stop. 
Not quite a craving: Sunflower Seeds.  I have always been a big fan of these tasty little treats (IN the shell, of course) but I like them even more now.  I have begun buying them by the giant bag and eating them each night while I read before I go to sleep.  Yummy.  It's a tasty snack that isn't filling, but is enough to keep the heartburn at bay through the night.

That's pretty much all of the real cravings I've had.  I sometimes wish there were more, as it makes deciding on dinner so much easier! 

Aversions?  That's an easier one.  Seafood.  At least the smell of it.  (I did have some fried clams the other night, but I don't really consider that seafood, especially since it's the only "seafood" I'll eat at all- except for the very occasional tuna fish (mmmm, tuna pea wiggle- are you reading this Mom???) and the even more rare fish stick.
I also had a pretty difficult time in the meat department at Shaw's the other night.  Oh man.  We were deciding on what type and how much hamburger to buy (for tacos!) and we had been there for probably 5 minutes or something and then all of a sudden it was like, "Oh my- Mike, we've gotta hurry this up."  All that raw meat just- ugh- I can't even describe it.  Not cool.  At all.

So I guess that about finishes off this weeks edition of Too Much Information. 
Stay tuned for more!

3 comments:

Nattie said...

wow, my boobs feel that way before i have my period. and now you know how i feel having all the saliva i do. one more thing be careful of the sunflower seeds, there's a lot of sodium in them.

Sara Kate said...

I laughed a lot while reading your post. Poor breasts. From now on, they're really not yours any more. You have to share them with two people! But good for your increase in (ahem). That rocks! YAY for babies! (I swear, I'm not envious) :)

Simple Mama said...

I hear you about the seafood. I was able to eat and enjoy bacon-wrapped scallops yesterday, but while being in the seafood section of Shaws, my stomach wanted to turn inside out.