Friday, February 5, 2010

It's Not Easy Being Green

I really don't know why it's called morning sickness, when it can happen any time.  While I'm trying to eat breakfast?  Check.  While I'm driving to work?  Check.  While I'm supposed to be eating lunch?  Check check flippin' check.  I'm sick as I'm typing this.  I've even gotten sick before I've fallen asleep.

Through it all, I've continued eating.  I try to eat small amounts frequently throughout the day (and that does help).  I have eaten so much ginger, I may as well become a damn ginger plant or tree or root or whatever (I've actually gotten kind of sick of the taste of ginger, so I'm taking a break for right now).  Sometimes I get hungry and that makes me nauseous, so while I'm thinking I'm going to toss my cookies in the middle of Shaws, I'll be like, "Yeah, but that BBQ chicken looks mighty fine."

And, of course, it's not just being sick to my stomach.  There are other, subtler points to pregnancy that just rock my world.  A list to follow:

Don't you dare touch the chesticles:  My boobs are sore.  I mean, really sore.  As in, Tom, stay the hell away or I'll bite your hand off.  (And he has been very respectful).  I've got to stay in a bra day and night or else even the water from the shower can hurt.  I guess it's the price I've got to pay for having a great rack (I've already got to buy a maternity bra).  This kid is NOT going to go hungry.

What do you mean, awake?  I stayed awake last night until 9:00pm.  Now, before you laugh, please know that up until that day, I was literally falling asleep right after dinner.  I would eat, lay down on the couch, and BAM be out until the next morning.  I was averaging about 10-12 hours of sleep a night.  I can't promise that last night wasn't a fluke, but I think I've gotten over the worst of it.  (Knock on wood).

Stop hogging the milk, you damn cow!  Mostly during week 6, I was craving milk like there was no tomorrow.   Now, that's weird, because I'm actually lactose intolerant.  (Not, like, I'd die or anything, but really, you don't want to hang out in an enclosed space with me after I nosh on a creeme with you).  But, yup, milk with Ovaltine was really awesome for awhile there.  As of the time of this writing, I'm without a breakfast sandwich, which was the craving du jour. 

Blame it on my Swiss Cheese Brain:  I literally have lost my mind.  Not like I'm crazy, I just don't know where I put my brain.  I used to be an uber-organized person (I was probably the only college kid I knew who had a filing system) and now, I honestly don't know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing on any given day.  As Tom said, now I know how he feels.

Crying jags:  Oh, yes, friends and neighbors, Stacie's lost her shit.  I have cried while listening to Bob Marley songs on the radio and the amount of canned goods in our pantry (that one lasted a good three hours.  I think the highlight of that little trip through the fun-house was me yelling at Tom, "do you want our baby to be made of this shit?"  while throwing some yellow-corn tortillas at him).    

Bloated as all whoo-haaa:  No, I don't know what a whoo-ha is.  Anyway, yeah.  Despite me eating a realitivley high fiber diet (lots of veg and fruit, whole grains, etc) I'm....well, not moving along the way I probably should.  So I'm kinda bloated. And you wanted to know that, I'm sure.

There are some good points to being pregnant. :)  I can't get over that there is a little being inside of me!  I mean, that sounds like the plot to a bad science fiction movie.  WOMAN TAKEN OVER BY SMALL TADPOLE CREATURE....but I almost cry when I think about how the baby has arms and legs now, and I smiled when I realized that the grapes on my desk are about the size that the baby is now (until I realized that I was going to eat them, and then that was weird).  I absolutely cannot wait to meet this baby and introduce him or her to their daddy.   

The best part about being pregnant is the support that I'm getting from Tom.  As I told him last night, he's the perfect husband for a pregnant lady.  He cooks great meals, he insists that I rest a lot, he truly does not care if the house looks like 8 elephants have tramped through it......I love that man, and I love that we're having a baby together.  :)

Okay, over and out for now.  Next week's topic will be a surprise (meaning that I don't know yet). 

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Too funny! I hate to say it, but I laughed out loud (and not the lol, that's funny kind, but a serious little giggle fit overtook me) when I read the part about the corn tortillas. Classic. :)

Nattie said...

o my. i was laughing out loud too. you and steph are like two peas in a pod.

Sara Kate said...

I love your entry. I laughed and laughed. And laughed. And I feel for your boobs. Strangely enough, I DO know that feeling. Isn't there some sort of organic cream you can rub on them to make the pain subside? like clove lotion or something? (just taking a stab at that one)